Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 10, 2012 - Mt. Washington, NH

Most of you don't know that I am terrified of driving, or riding, up (or down) mountains.  I will do it but my anxiety level rises tremendously going around the curves and looking over the side...and the brakes never work on my side!!!  It's beautiful, which I love, but quite stressful for me. 

Mt. Washington is the highest peak in the northeastern United States at 6,288 ft, and has the dubious distinction of having the worst weather of any mountain in the world.  It is said that "on a clear day when the mountain is in a good mood" nothing compares to the panoramic view from the top. 

We decided to "take the high road" and drive to the top and, even though I found it stressful, it was magnificant!  Weatherwise, it was a perfect day, with visibility at 100 miles, according to the sign.  And the temperature when we got to the top was 45 degrees!  Fortunately, Glenn makes me keep a rain suit in the jeep, which I immediately put on when we arrived!  As always, my job is to take pictures through the jeep windows during the drive... which requires me to look where we are going!  I don't think I missed much (even though some are a little blurry) and I won't post all of them here...you can look at the album if you want more!
 
























































And, of course, what goes up much come down which means STRESS AGAIN!








































It really was a fantastic trip...really!!!

On the way home we stopped in Jackson...that was fun too!













Lots more pictures in our photo albums.  Click on the links below to see them!















1 comment:

  1. Oh do I remember that drive!! And Linda I couldn't understand why the brake on my side wouldn't work either!! Glad I could relive the event through your pictures without being scared to death!!

    ReplyDelete